A robust infrastructure for production, transport and storage
The energy supply of the future demands innovative solutions. As it stands, electricity only provides 20% of our ultimate energy demand. We will need to find a solution for the other 80%. Furthermore, wind and solar energy do not supply a constant yield. That demands new forms of transport and storage.
Goeree-Overflakkee produces more green electricity than it consumes. Converting the excess into green hydrogen creates a buffer for times when insufficient wind or solar energy is generated. Hydrogen also supplies the energy demand that cannot be covered by electricity. A connection with the Rotterdam port area is interesting to balance demand and supply. Rotterdam can be supplied when there is an overproduction on the island. A lot of grey hydrogen – made of natural gas – is currently used there. Conversely, with a peak demand on the island, the supply of hydrogen from the port region can be used.